Tuesday, September 17, 2019

My Senior Thesis Topic

Hi everyone,

I'd like you to meet my friend, Andy. I never met Andy in life-- which sounds strange, but I promise I'll explain it in depth later.

Memorial to Trooper Andrew J. Sperr. (Eloise the Chihuahua for scale.) 

Andrew J. Sperr, also known to his family and friends as "AJ," was born on December 21, 1972, in Rochester, NY. In 1966, Trooper Sperr graduated from the NYS Police Academy, and later transferred to Troop E, in Horseheads, NY (1). 

On March 1, 2006, Trooper Sperr was killed during a routine traffic stop, unaware that the individuals in the vehicle had just robbed a bank nearby (1). He had just reached his ten-year career milestone in law enforcement.

Out of tragedy, something beautiful was created: a memorial park was established at the site where Andy lost his life. As an avid outdoorsman, he would be delighted to know that his legacy is realized through a walking trail, two stocked bodies of water, and countless enjoyment from visiting friends, families, and fisherman (1).

Over this past year, Sperr Memorial Park, located in the town of Big Flats, NY, has become one of my all-time favorite places to visit. I went there pretty often over the summer to not only recharge, but also, as a form of personal catharsis, have conversations about life with Andy. I know in my heart that he's always listening.

If all goes to plan, I'd like to make Sperr Memorial Park the locus of my Senior Thesis. It's a powerful site of public memory, not just for the legacy of Trooper Andrew Sperr, but also for the other members of law enforcement memorialized on site. I want to explore the nature of public memory, how it evolves over time, and how the public utilizes these sites. Most importantly, however, I want to create something that Andy and his family would be proud of. I want to create a space in which my very dear friend can reach new audiences and continue to shine his light.

_____________________________________________________________________________
1. "AJ's Biography." Sperr Memorial Park. Accessed September 16, 2019. http://www.sperrmemorialpark.org/BIOGRAPHY.html.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Landyn, it might be interesting to think about ways to incorporate particular technologies to capture memories and to (perhaps) consider how to make these accessible to the public through technology and through analog means. I look forward to seeing how you combine memory, past, present, and commemoration. -- Dr. Decker

    ReplyDelete