Monday, September 28, 2026

Update on my progress

Since my last post I have made a few changes to my topic. I am now focusing on how museums interpret three substances that have been understood historically as medicine but have changed meanings over time. I am using various primary sources and four exhibits from different institutions. I will be examining how they interpret these substances, what materials they chose to use, and how their institutional perspectives influence their interpretations. The three substances I have chosen to focus on are tobacco, alcohol, and opium and the medicines derived from it. Thus far I have found fifteen sources four of which are the exhibits I plan to examine, have annotated all 15, and have made a revised draft for my abstract and thesis statement/question. I plan to use these sources to create a research paper into how museums address the nuances of the ever-changing views surrounding these substances, and what role their institutional bias's play in forming these interpretations. One example of this is the DEA museum has an exhibition on the opium poppy which skews towards the illicit drug aspect of opium/opioids. 

No comments:

Post a Comment