Hello, I am Patrick Showers, I am majoring in Museum Studies with a minor in History. My tentative plan for my thesis is to research how museums can/do interpret substances which have been used for medicinal, spiritual, and social/recreational purposes, and how the broader cultural and historical context alters how they’re interpreted. I have always been interested in how different cultures across the globe have independently discovered substances with mind-altering properties and how they have justified their use for spiritual and medicinal purposes. This subject is (and likely will be) subject to change as it is an extremely broad subject that has some basis in nearly every culture. This topic will be combining my passion for history with museum studies by compiling historical and modern information and looking at it through a museum lens. Some other topics I am exploring are to continue my summer research project of building interest in MISHA (Multispectral Imaging for Historical Artifacts) amongst smaller organizations, to research the effects of museums architecture on how people perceive their collections, and looking into how museums can and do navigate reinterpreting historical exhibits with outdated language and interpretations.
No comments:
Post a Comment