Hello,
My name is Bella Herendeen. I'm a fourth and final year student majoring in Museum Studies and pursuing a minor in Women and Gender Studies. I'm interested in how different areas of history are represented in archives and exhibitions and how underrepresented voices are handled by GLAM institutions.
With this in mind, I hope to pursue a thesis paper examining transfers of power within archives and how these changes affect what is prioritized by an institution. Questions I will be asking vary from "who is given the highest position of authority?", "why are certain people gifted this power?", "how is the public affected by these changes, for better or worse?", etc. I do not have a definitive thesis statement at the moment but I hope to introduce one to my concept within the week. Courses I have taken in Museum Studies and History will provide me with a strong background to build my thesis on. Although I will be focusing on archival practices, there will likely be exhibition related case studies included to support the paper.
As someone who's goal is to work with archives in a way that uplifts marginalized voices, I hope this capstone thesis will help me gain an important perspective that I could attribute to whichever institution I might find myself in.
No comments:
Post a Comment