Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Potential Thesis Topic

As I stated in class, I am fairly certain I want my thesis topic to be on museum ethics and cultural sensitivity within exhibitions. I would like to do a case study of the Rochester Museum and Science Center and how they handle exhibiting the Charlotte carousel panel. I have a description of the situation in my first post, but if you are unfamiliar with it, you can read up on it here. I, of course, still need to clear this idea with the RMSC and get permission to pursue it, but I am planning on beginning my research for this topic now. I aim to use all the newspaper articles and news coverage of this I can gather, as well as finding journal articles about other case studies of similar situations for comparison. Because I am an intern at the RMSC, I have access to the panel itself, as well as the staff handling the storage, care and exhibition of the panel. I plan to use the staff as references as well, through interviews and conversations I have with them. I think I have a good handle on my potential topic, and am very excited to see where this research takes me.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kelli,
    Do you still have the notes from the Carousel town meeting from last semester? I might not have access anymore to mine from my notetaking job but I will double check if you need but I think they could be very helpful especially if you wrote down names. You could use their statements as primary research. Let me know in class if you want me to check. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea that would be great! That's a great idea, I went through my old papers from last semester looking for notes on it but I can't find anything specific. If you could get them, that would be very helpful, thanks!

      Delete
  2. Kelli,

    I might still have a copy of that flyer the Black Panthers were handing out during the preservation meeting. If I can find it, do you want it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, if you can find it that would be great! I don't think I saved the one I got.

      Delete