Monday, September 12, 2022

Starting to Research

So I am starting to do some research on the Spanish Civil War and the art created during that time period! After class last Tuesday, I went over to Ritter on Ice and took out one of the books that came up when Cami searched the Spanish Civil War. I haven't gotten too far into it, but based on the intro and a quick skimming of the chapters it seems to go in depth on how Surrealist art in Spain began to branch away from its origins in France, since Spanish artists wanted to move away from the dream like state of surrealism and instead use the movement to address the war. I have also been looking into some more articles about Dali in particular and his depictions of war despite his claim to be an "apolitical" painter. Speaking of Dali, my copy of one of his autobiographies finally came in the mail and I am excited to start reading it! While it may help with research, it was more of a personal interest purchase because I have been wanting to 'get inside' Dali's mind so to speak. So far all I know is that Dali hated spinach because of its "utterly amorphous character." :)



No comments:

Post a Comment