Wednesday, October 30, 2019

What I've learned

I have found that the whole research process can be frustrating but that too is a part of the process. I find that it is not as flexible as I would like but at the same time that is what is keeping me on track. But I'm finding that its all rewarding because the scale is so huge and the topic is varying, I really enjoy communicating and discussing with all sorts of people during this process.

The topic that I've found the most interesting, is the whole global process of digitization. Since my topic is specifically on the Haudenosaunee, I'm finding that the commonalities between a lot of Indigenous cultures is that they are all given the resources, but they all cater the resources to what they need specifically. The most interesting topic is how the many cultures are choosing to display their own history. It's almost as if there is a revival of culture and their history into the mainstream.

I still need to find and research a lot more on the Haudenosaunee, specifically. But I'm finding a lot of interesting trends and possible changes in how we view our history that I really want to highlight. I want to bring into light how if you train and give a lot of these cultures the ability to tell their own history it changes how we view history as well as how we can more accurately depict it. I need to look more into the actual impact their digital presence is having on the world, but from what I've been finding its all been quite impact and freeing.

2 comments:

  1. Hi John, have you reached out to folks at Ganondagan. Send an email message to me and I can share some names/emails.

    One topic to think about is how digitization can provide/help with preservation and access—both of these are important facets of that work.

    Looking forward to learning more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey John, I felt the same frustration! It is like pulling teeth

    ReplyDelete