Tuesday, October 4, 2016

My Thesis Topic

My senior thesis topic is going to entail aviation, military history, and the cultural landscape of soldiers and pilots. The main focus will be on original artwork by servicemen and servicewomen on the front-side of aircraft, referred to as “nose art” after the section of the machine which serves as the surface for application of paint. First popularized during the then-nascent aerial combat of the Second World War, this art has remained a staple of many different militaries' culture, and has changed over time as the decades progress. My thesis will recount the history of this medium, as well as the culture of service that leads to the practice. Digital resources of images of this art will be invaluable, and my research will draw from multiple different repositories from different institutions, such as the Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum and the National Museum of The United States Air Force. My research will also include primary sources from servicemen, enabling me to accurately analyze the perspectives and views behind the different kinds of art one can see on the noses of aircraft.

No comments:

Post a Comment