Monday, October 31, 2016

What I've Learned So Far

My topic, about young adult engagement in museums with regards to special events and programming, has been very interesting so far. I have found that several museums around the world are actually very concerned with the status of their engagement with this age group (19-35). There have also been studies done by large institutions like the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum that include statistical information that is quite interesting to look at. For example, the largest age group attending their after hours events are from ages 24-26 at about 32% of their attendees. Other studies include surveys and more qualitative data which I will use as examples for when I begin to collect my own data.

As for the things I still need to know; I am interested in interviewing some of the local professionals that plan such events and see what their ideas about the success of their programs are. I would also like to see how I can link these experiences to a text that I have been reading called The Great Good Place by Ray Oldenburg. In this book, he discusses the idea of a "Third Place" and I find it fascinating the connection that can be created between people and these "Third Places".




2 comments:

  1. Did you by any chance get to attend the MAG's Museum of the Dead event this year? I was there Friday night, and was pleasantly surprised to see many more people in the galleries than I remember noticing last year. I wasn't particularly focused on estimating people's ages, but I would say that a large portion of the visitors were between 21 & 35.

    I also noticed that they weren't allowing anyone to bring food or drink into the galleries, which I really appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really interested in the "Third Place" you mentioned. Can you tell us more in class?
    I think the reason behind the increase in young adults' interest in museums - along with adult themed events - is it allows them to be childish again - just like the Ferris Bueller clip you attached above. We aren't worried about knowing things we should and feel free to ask questions. Alcohol helps as well. Are you still looking in to alcohol?

    ReplyDelete