Thursday, February 9, 2017

Thesis Progress Update

Art of a toad adorns a KC-135R Stratotanker (1988)

Since my first draft of my literature review, I have added 5 pages to my thesis.  Part of my new content is expanded research into folk art.  Finding the correlations between folk art and nose art has provided me many interesting avenues through which to examine the cultural and traditional facets of the art form.  On the project side of my thesis, I've accrued over 100+ high-quality photographs of nose art from the National Archives, and have begun assigning categorical tags based upon artwork content.  This categorization is beginning to indirectly inform the structure of my exhibit, which has placed my immediate priorities on site architecture.  My next actions will be constructing the preliminary architecture of the exhibition, as well as beginning to pare down my images into the selection of content that will best serve the site's visitors.  Next in priority to that is continuing my research on portrayal of women in World War II-era art.  Since winter break, I've gathered additional books and articles on pin-ups and 1940s gender roles, which are sure to provide valuable context once I finish reading and studying them.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this update on your progress. The image up top caught my attention immediately. Let me know if you have questions about site architecture - and good luck getting those images tagged:)

    ReplyDelete