Saturday, February 4, 2017

Updates on the thesis "The Process of Creating Accurate Reproductions of Fragile Objects: The Fabrication of 3D Facsimiles with Limited Resources"

At first glance, I have changed my title from "The Advantages of..." to "The Process of Creating...." The majority of my other edits consisted of omitting anything that spoke about digitizing the book's pages and creating a complete facsimile. These decisions were made based on the time frame I have and the fragility of the book.

On Monday, January 30th, I met with Dr. Galbraith and Mike Buffalin at the Cary to pick scanner and get it approved. We were between two scanners and we made our decision based on the safety the scanner can allow the object and the accuracy of the scan. The first scanner, the Fuel 3D, was handheld, had a DSLR styled flash, auto stitched using targets, and is sold around $3,000. The second scanner was the Next Engine 3D scanner which sits on the table and scans horizontally, I am the most familiar with it because I have used it before, creates beautiful scans, requires the book to be on a stand, and costs about $2,800. We decided on the Next Engine and the use of a clear plastic stand. I will also use the Next Engine software on my own computer.



I will most likely digitize and scan the papiermache bound book with William Shakespeare on the cover. This is due to its size and the ability to concentrate on the portion of the profile when I start printing.

Also on Monday, we were able to scan and stitch two images of the book's front cover together.

All other updates consist of finishing and getting my proposal signed, writing the first 12 pages of my thesis and starting to plan when I will start the scanning process. Tomorrow, 2/10/2017, I will download the software and learn the set up of the scanning equipment. Hopefully I will start scanning next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment