Friday, April 28, 2017

Last Minute Details and Finishing Everything Up

While approaching the end of my thesis, my check list of things I have to do is getting shorter and shorter. At this point, my second and final print is completed, the paper only needs minor revisions and the poster is complete.

The complete poster is shown above.

Things to do include, adding a few more paragraphs to my paper about how people are interacting with these objects and how this project could proceed in the future. For example, Richard Minsky suggested to print the facsimile as is but sand down, with a belt sander, the back of the object to remove the backing and reveal holes in its lowest points. Having an object with correctly placed holes makes it flexible enough to add a real silk backing just like the original. This is instead of painting it red where the silk should have gone in the crevasses between the raise papiermache areas.

I am really excited for the poster session becasue I would have both the image of the original, images of the scans and both physical copies present to show each part of the process and exhibit the level of detail and accuracy achieved. Having the facsimiles with me also helps illustrate how easy it is to pass around and hold away from an archive experience. This is an experience that you could not have had with the original which qualifies my research question.

After the paper is submitted, the poster is printed and everything is signed off, I will be giving the Cary both physical copies as well copies of the 3D scans.

Almost done!

No comments:

Post a Comment