Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Winter Plans

Over winter break I plan to build upon my lit review by going over each review and writing 2 pages- one page for my detailed opinions on what the author(s) had to say and one page for how I think it relates to my thesis. The goals is to refine my lit review and begin formally writing a draft of my thesis in a manner that isn't so daunting. From here it should be easier to lay out what my thesis will look like more accurately; I will also be able to spot gaps in my writing easier. If I do 2 a week for 3 weeks (sorry, Xmas is designated family/me time), I'll get 6 done and make a significant dent. I think I'll focus the articles that focus on public markets/ RPM.

Pictured Above: The RPM local farmer and vendor on October 7th (Photo taken by me)

The other big thing I would like to do is visit RPM on January 2nd, 6th, 9th, and the 12th. On the 2nd and the 9th, I want to conduct interviews with RPM officials and/or vendors, which is easier to do on quiet days (Tuesdays), than on the weekends. The 6th and the 9th I will visit the RPM for participant observation- critically analyzing my experience, the behaviors of other visitors, and the overall atmosphere of RPM on those two days. From these I will write brief field reports detailing what I have learned.


Please let me know what you think of this plan; whether its too much or not enough. I'm more than willing to make changes if they will be more beneficial to my thesis. 


~Kayla

3 comments:

  1. What insights to you hope to gain from your participant observation and how do they relate to the big idea or research question of your thesis?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your idea of writing field reports on your trips to the market! Obviously your findings from these trips will included within your writing, but I was wondering if you plan to include the original reports in your thesis as well? Like in an appendix, just to show the raw experience you had?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have a solid plan for working over break and your ideas to visit the public market and take field notes are wonderful. I definitely agree with Alex and think some of these notes should be included in an appendix because they'll provide raw information that people may be interested in. I look forward to seeing what you have available next semester!

    ReplyDelete