Monday, August 31, 2020

First post: Hello!

    Greetings, My name is Amara Engel. I am a fourth-year Museum studies major. I always have fond memories of going to museums since I was a child. I love to travel and learn about different countries' cultural histories. I am interested in art and history. I am proud to be deaf, but there are times that I have to face some barriers in society. For example, I noticed a lack of accessibility for people who have disabilities in museums. Oftentimes the museum’s modification was to give me a piece of paper, so I could follow the tour, but I always felt left out. I felt I was not getting the same experience as everyone on the tour. Luckily, my family recognized this issue and were able to interpret for me during presentations and guided tours so I could understand more of what was being said by tour guides. Some museums will provide sign language interpreters if you request them a couple of weeks in advance. I understand that it is difficult to provide all of the accommodations. But they should be encouraged to provide accommodations that would allow many more opportunities for everyone to be able to enjoy the same experience.

    I did have some experience in hosting a gallery opening when I was a senior in high school. I was responsible for arranging my show by selecting my photograph pieces and negotiating with the owner of the gallery. This experience sparked my interest to pursue a Museum studies major. My goal is to improve museums' accessibility to have unlimited resources for each individual's needs. I hope I will become a museum educator and also, work with the collection. Below are two photos of the Getty villa's collection exhbition. This museum is based on Mr. Getty's interest in Roman culture. 






1 comment:

  1. Hi Amara! I think it's wonderful that you are looking to work on increasing accessibility in museums. I think making museums accessible is incredibly important and something that is absolutely necessary. Do you have any ideas on how to make museums more accessible to the Deaf/Hard of Hearing community in general?
    I know that many museums have audio tours available. Do you think it would be possible for museums to have ASL tours available for visitors to watch similar to how audio tours are available?

    ReplyDelete