Monday, August 31, 2020

Introduction to Me!

 Hello, my name is Courtney Barber and I am a fourth-year Museum Studies major. I have always been interested in the arts, and spent much of my childhood drawing, and playing different sorts of theatrical games. This growing interest in everything artistic was fully recognized during an Art History survey course in my first semester at Monroe Community College. While I had always thought that art was beautiful, this was my first introduction to the professional field of the Humanities, and more specifically, museums. 

    From this point, I was able to complete my Associate's Degree in Fine Arts, and transferred into the Museum Studies program at RIT. After reaching RIT, I have been given many generous opportunities to work alongside museum professionals at both the George Eastman Museum and Genesee Country Village and Museum. While working with both of these institutions, I have maintained my interest in collecting and preserving artwork of the past, while also realizing a new interest in architecture. As I continue through my education and learn more about the field of museums, I hope to continue working alongside both objects and architectural structures- as their combined impact is all-encompassing.

                                  (Genesee Country Village & Museum, 2020)



2 comments:

  1. Hi Courtney! I didn't know you had already gotten a degree in Fine Arts! I feel like that would definitely give you an added benefit in understanding certain aesthetic values in exhibition design and curation. What do you hope to do with combining architecture and objects? Would you want to work in historic homes or sites?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Courtney,
    It's so great to hear about all of your professional opportunities. I love to see that you are getting so much experience and finding out what you are passionate in!

    ReplyDelete