Sunday, August 30, 2020

Intro to Me

Hello, my name is Katie Keegan and I am a third year Museum Studies student graduating early. I am interested in history, art, and science. I am also interested in collections and preservation. Outside of my major, I enjoy soccer, reading, and spending time with my family and friends.

I do have some experience to help me with this. This summer I did an internship at the Tompkins Center for History and Culture in Ithaca, NY. I worked with the collections and exhibits department. I had the opportunity to work on an exhibit for women’s suffrage, writing captions for the exhibit, going through the collections picking out quilts for another exhibit, and seeing a new item be accessioned. I was very lucky to have interned there and I will most likely be going back in December. I have learned so much from this experience and I cannot wait to gain more experience. I have also taken a class called Cultural Informatics which helped me in the exhibit work that I did. Below is a picture of the Tompkins Center for History and Culture.






3 comments:

  1. Hi Katie, I think it is really exciting that you are graduating early and have already been able to do so many things within the world of museums. While I have never been to the Tompkins Center for History and Culture, it sounds like a very interesting institution and to be able to work on a Women's Suffrage exhibit sounds like such a great opportunity. Additionally, I think it is so wonderful that you were able to intern with them over the summer, and gain experience even throughout the precautions for the pandemic, and it's even more exciting that you can return in December!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie, I didn't know you were graduating early, that's so exciting! It sounds like you learned a lot at your internship. What kind of collections management system does the Tompkins Center for History and Culture use? So far I've had experience with ArchivesSpace and a lot of excel sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this - I've never been to the Tompkins Center. I want to visit!

    ReplyDelete