Monday, August 31, 2020

Introduction

Hello, my name is Rachel and I am a fourth year Museum Studies major. I have a background in art and design, having previously completed an Associate’s in Graphic Design, after which point I transferred to the Museum Studies program at RIT. I currently work as a student archival assistant at the Cary Graphic Arts Archive, where I have helped to process new donations as well as rehouse objects, create finding aids, and clean wood type. I am also working on various transcription projects, as well as an effort to help preserve the experiences of the disability community for Journal of the Plague Year, a virtual archive documenting the COVID-19 pandemic.

My love of museums stems from a lifelong interest in the arts and art history, with some of my favorite childhood memories being the days I spent visiting the MFA Boston, discovering the collection and sketching my own artwork inspired by the objects I saw. Today, I’m interested in facilitating more accessible, inclusive museum experiences, so that more people are able to benefit from museum collections in this way.


Below is a photo of a case I put together (before captions were added) from an exhibition that I worked on to document the history of the Wallace Library at RIT.



1 comment:

  1. Oh, good times. I remember that exhibition. Love that typewriter! https://ritarchives.omeka.net/exhibits/show/the-stories-they-tell-6

    ReplyDelete