Sunday, September 6, 2020

Idea for Topic

 Hi!


As I have been thinking about my thesis I have found myself struggling with taking my interests and creating a topic and research question. I have spent these first few weeks really thinking about my interests and how to take those and find something I would like to research. After this much needed reflection I think I have found a topic that will gauge my interests. 


I have decided to do a thesis on how to bring out collections and objects from museum storage. I have decided to focus on this area because I believe that museums have so many wonderful objects in their collections that never come out of storage and this does not benefit the public in any way. I am thinking about working with the Tompkins Center for History and Culture where I did my internship this summer. With their help I will be able to have hands on experience and a collection at my disposal.


I really like this topic, since I have thought of it I haven’t been able to think about any other. I think that I would be happy to spend a year researching and writing about this.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Katie, I think this is a really great idea! I feel like many museums feature the objects that the public has come to know and love, but there are so many more pieces which may attract even more attention. Also, the fact that you have the Tompkins Center for History and Culture is great since they can give you the access you need, while also being a familiar source of support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie, I really like this idea! Most museums hardly change out their permanent collection even though these institutions have so many other objects that aren't being highlighted. It's so great that you're so interested in this topic and that you already have a museum in mind to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katie! I think this is a very interesting idea, especially considering that most items in a museum's collection will never be on display. I think something to think about with this would definitely be looking at what has already been done in terms of an "open collection". For example, the Metropolitan has a large number of items that are in archival storage on display for visitors to view. Other institutions offer images and information online for artifacts that may not be on display (Philadelphia Museum of Art comes to mind).

    ReplyDelete