Monday, September 7, 2020

My Topic Idea

 Hello!

As we have gotten deeper into the semester and discussed possible thesis focuses, I believe I have started to form the basis of what I want to write about. Due to my continued interest in art history and art museums, I have chosen to focus on how the art museums of contemporary society have come to be. Stemming from the private collections of the wealthy, the earliest art exhibitions were available only to those with the status or wealth to engage with the collection's owner. From this point, the notion of the French Academy rose to prominence, and public exhibitions were sanctioned by the elite in conjunction with governmental forces.

While this manner of exhibiting artwork became the norm for many years, many artists became frustrated and began to rebel. Staging their own exhibitions, the Impressionists became the most well-known group to reject the traditional French ideals of exhibiting artwork, After so many years of being shown in the Salon des Refusés, the Impressionists worked to show that their work deserved the recognition received by other artists working in the classical tradition. From this uprising against societal norms, the Impressionists were able to hold their own Salons (eight in total), and normalize the idea that there is more than one acceptable version of art.

While this is a very pared down summary of all that took place leading up to the shift within cultural institutions, it is the framework for how I will further my ideas. While the Impressionists worked to show their art to a society hesitant to accept them, their influence aided in reaching the types of art museums we visit today. When visiting a modern museum and seeing the various types of work, one may not realize the history that allowed us to enjoy such an experience.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Courtney!
    I love this idea, it is a very interesting topic idea. I think it is great that you want to bring out the history of how modern museums came to be. I think with how you have discussed in your post it will be wonderful!
    I can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Courtney! I think this is a really cool idea, and there is a lot you can go into with it. From your small synopsis, I think it will be incredibly interesting to read. Are you going to talk about what you think the future of art museums might be as well?

    ReplyDelete