Friday, October 23, 2020

Objects Are Cool But Adobe Illustrator Is Not

 Working with material objects is so interesting. I find myself looking at small little details and markings that show these typefaces have been used and worked with countless times. There are little marks on each character that I can only compare to marginalia in books. They are signs that each character has been used and has an intimate history. I've learned about typefaces and the different forms they take. It's so interesting to look at what historically has been done to make typefaces in comparison to what is currently done to create typefaces. I've learned so much about the broader history of American Material Culture as well. It's absolutely fascinating to look at how this singular category of functional artifacts plays into the much broader field of American Material Culture.

As I am working through my project, I find myself struggling to learn the intricacies of Adobe Illustrator. I am very familiar with Photoshop and other pixel-based software, but for some reason, I cannot seem to get the grasp of vector based software. I need to develop a working proficiency in Illustrator so I am able to create digital versions of the fonts I will be recreating. I have plans to watch an extensive amount of tutorial videos through Adobe themselves and content creators on YouTube. I think also, something that I need to continue developing my understanding of, is how recreations of objects affect the issue of authenticity. Does authenticity matter when the reproduction is able to be used in the same manner as the original? Does there need to be a communication between the historical interpreter using the recreated characters and the audience that lets the visitors know that documents are being printed with modern typefaces? 

No comments:

Post a Comment