Monday, October 19, 2020

Post 4

 Hello everyone,

   Recently, I met up with my secondary advisor to discuss my topic. She told me something that I didn’t know about one of the museums. She mentions that the Met in New York City did have something related to ASL back in the 1970s. This information surprised me because ADA was created 20 years later, that seems like the Met was ahead of its time. Also, during my research, I found out that some museums in Europe are providing accessibility. Also, I was able to find out the majority deaf community approximate is 600,000. Only 0.22% of the population is considered deaf. 


There are a few things I need to research to gain more information to support my thesis. I have to create a survey to show the majority of preferences needs. It will be impossible to survey every deaf people all over the USA. I will focus on the NTID community because of the diversity, and they all are not from New York. This survey will benefit my thesis paper due to Also, research more about the history of deaf visitors. I need to add more depth about the ADA to explain certain points for the museum to follow. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amara, I am really excited to see that you have settled into your topic and have started to find out some interesting details. The fact about the Met is very exciting to learn, as they were apparently aware of art relating to ASL very early compared to other institutions- although it is frustrating that it took the ADA to prompt institutions to think this way! I think focusing on NTID is a very good way to organize your thoughts and research, will you be using their data almost in the form of a case study?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amara, I also did not know that the Met had something related to ASL back in the 70s. That is very interesting and something I think you should look into more. I think it is great that you want to give people options that they would like to see in museums. This will really help individuals in ways that they see as beneficial. Keep up the great work, this is so interesting and much needed!

    ReplyDelete