Thursday, August 26, 2021

Angie's Introduction

 Hey all!

My name is Angie Maier and I am a fourth year SOIS student with concentrations in Environmental Science, Museum Studies, Journalism, and Spanish. I like to call this smorgasbord of a degree "Communications in Environmental Science" and I hope to use it to get into some form of environmental education, or any way that I can take possibly complicated or confusing scientific information and make it accessible and engaging to the general public. In a time when so many people are finding themselves inundated with misleading or downright false scientific information, I believe that this is more important than ever.

I have had experiences working at various summer camps, creating and implementing environmental education programs for kids and I have found that I am very passionate about that, although I can see my career taking me in the other direction creating content for adults as well. This summer I worked for the U.S. Department of Agriculture doing invasive insect research which I found to be very enjoyable and interesting. 

On a more personal level, my interests include hiking, camping, and just being outdoors in general. I also love biking, so if you ever see someone biking across campus in the dead of winter it's probably me. And when I'm not doing all of that, I love hanging out with my kitten, Winnie, who turns one on the 28th!

A very cheesy photo my mom insisted on taking of me with one of the insect traps I used for my research this summer.


1 comment:

  1. Oh, you gotta love mom demands -- this photo is going to look great on your research poster : ) Seriously, though, I think your content interests wonderfully intersect with the world of Science or STEM Communication. Let's talk about that!

    ReplyDelete