Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Greetings and Salutations-- Renee Guerin

 Hello, everyone! My name is Renee Guerin, and I am a fourth year Museum Studies and Painting dual major going into my final year here at RIT. 


As I’ve continued here at this institution, I have discovered a passion for preservation and conservation, especially within my jobs at a multispectral imaging lab on campus, focused on historical artifacts and accessibility, as well as at the Archives center in the Wallace Library. These opportunities, and my course work from both programs, has greatly influenced the development of my thesis, one of which I had been formulating since I transferred here a little over a year and a half ago. 


While I am still in the process of creating a title, my thesis will be a mixture of research paper, experimentation, and projects. My goal is creating two egg tempera pigments using traditional 15th century Italian techniques and recipes, as well as having a control variable of mainstream manufactured egg tempera, and testing of half life, pigment longevity, effectiveness as a media, and how it differs based on use of humane versus inhumane (ethical vs unethical) practices (i.e. caged eggs versus cage free, as an example). My end goal is to create a master copy of a tempera piece using these handmade pigments, and store bought ones, to see overall differences, how they interact with one another, and their reactions through experimentation. I will be focused on the use of accelerated aging ovens and multispectral imaging to understand the pigments further, and my tests will focus on these factors.


I aim, with this project and paper, to connect both the sciences and the arts in an interdisciplinary fashion, and be able to gain more hands-on experience and skill sets related to the field of painting conservation. Thank you for reading, and I will continue with more updates in the time to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment