Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Hey Y'all!

Before I talk your ear off about accessibility, let me introduce myself! My name is Alexandra Suarez, and I also go by Ara :) I am a fourth-year Museum Studies transfer student with an immersion in Legal Studies. I will be graduating in the Spring of 2025

            Accessibility is one of the stables of my interests. Since the beginning of my college career, I have always been involved with projects that allow me to be of service to the public. Whether this is the Women's Self-Defense Workshops I've hosted or tending to and expanding a public garden to aid with the food scarcity crisis in the heart of Ybor City, Florida. While this desire has been met with different means, the focus has always been the same--to help others with social and economic disadvantages

In a previous position at the Genesee Country Village & Museum, I interned for the collections manager there, I was tasked with many opportunities to design, preserve, and catalog artifacts and exhibitions. I was able to focus on cataloging and creating a guideline for future interns. A key factor for cataloging is the data. I wanted to ensure the most readable, and detailed descriptions and data of an object to aid in when the collection is offered to the public. 

While I was able to help those who needed alt text and detailed descriptions, my experience at GCVM opened my eyes to another opportunity to make the museum more accessible. As my internship was coming to a close, my partner and mother-in-law wanted to come visit the museum. At first, I met them with excitement, but that soon faded as I realized they wouldn't be able to physically navigate the museum and historic houses. Locomotive disabilities are the most common disability in America. Whether this is due to a condition, or old age, museums should be accounting for this. With this brought to my attention I've decided to make Accessibility in Living Museums my thesis for my Museum Studies Bachelors. 

I am in the process of rendering my thesis further, and will keep the MUSE family updated on my journey! 

If you, or someone you know have had experiences with inaccessibility within Living Museums, or have a thought to share, please feel free to contact me via email. (ars3575@g.rit.edu). 

Thank you for listening & remember to rest as hard as you work! 

Ara~

(artist @titsay on twitter).



No comments:

Post a Comment