Thursday, April 2, 2015

Post #5

Over break I was able to finish four extra pages for my senior thesis, completing the 'draft 1.5' as Dr. Decker calls it. In this draft, I had taken comments and edits from classmates and Dr. Decker on my first ten pages into consideration and edited this part of my draft. The rewrite of this section still needs work and there are still questions on what more I should add including links to websites and appendix information. I introduced a second part of my thesis, and going off my outline, this section was small. I wrote a few paragraphs explaining what other libraries and institutions do in order to provide online access and digital information to the public. The three I've chosen to write about, again, with recommendations from Dr. Decker, were the Smithsonian, the Digital Public Library of America (DPLA) and the Library Company (LC) of Philadelphia. The Library Company of Philadelphia seemed to be the more interesting, considering Benjamin Franklin was the founder of this institution, which was a physical lending library at his time.

The Digital Public Library of America hosts photographs and documents scanned onto the website and is not a physical place for people to explore. The Smithsonian and the Library Company of Philadelphia are also physical spaces along with digital libraries. All three, along with the Rochester Public Library, are all working to continue to digitize artifacts, documents, and materials for public use online.

DPLA homepage
http://dp.la/



The Library Company of Philadelphia homepage
http://www.librarycompany.org/index.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment