Thursday, April 2, 2015

Un-Cooperative Hyena

This week marks a pretty good step in my thesis project. I've gotten about half of my content on paper with a good plan of what is to come next. Also, this week I am beginning my internship at the Seneca Park Zoo. I attempted to go watch a program in person on Tuesday, but unfortunately the hyena in question chose not to come out for its feeding demonstration. This being said, I was able to witness some of the camp counselors interact with kids and so far I am very happy to be heading to work in such a good environment. I have been able to find many examples of completed evaluation plans since my last update, and the materials I've been able to find seem very applicable to this project. Going back to the hyena for a moment. As I watched the campers and other visitors pass by the-no-longer-occurring demonstration on Tuesday, I was reminded how the behavior of an animal can affect visitor's perception of an exhibition. Many visitors simply passed by the exhibit without even reading the panels presented after realizing that the hyena was not visible, and some only stopped to identify what animal should be visible after a child in the group asked where the animal was.

No comments:

Post a Comment