Thursday, April 9, 2015

Progress: Slow, but Steady

Lately I have been contacting local businesses and setting up interviews with members of the Rochester Deaf community. Over a week ago, I had an interview with Patti Durr. She teaches Deaf Art & Cinema for RIT/NTID and has been involved in multiple local Deaf organizations in the past, although she currently is more involved with Deaf organizations on a national or international level. She was able to point me in the direction of a few new locations - a church, a specific building owned by Kodak that employed many Deaf people, and a Deaf-owned yoga practice.

I was able to quickly get a response from Dorothy Wilkins, the owner of Deaf Roots & Wings. She has taught yoga for more than 18 years at various locations, but for the last 5, she has been renting out Molly's Yoga Corner from Molly Huff off Monroe Avenue. It used to be an old firehouse, and Dorothy was kind enough to provide me with a photograph: 


Hopefully no later than within the next couple of weeks I will have a complete (as it is currently near-complete) list of locations, along with an image for every one. I'm still waiting to hear back from more people, so I may need to contact more as alternatives if I do not hear back from all of them soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment