Thursday, December 10, 2015

Intersession Research

      As classes are wrapping up and finals are approaching, I have not had as much time to dedicate to my research as I would have liked. However I will have a lot more free time in the upcoming weeks of intersession. I have some goals in mind that I would like to achieve during the break. I am planning to read all the books I have on subjects related to my senior thesis topic, such as fashion and feminism, over intercession. Before I can even evaluate magazines and begin writing, I need to create a systematic approach to the analysis and evaluation of Vogue advertisements, articles, and photographs. This will help me evaluate each magazine issue objectively and methodologically. I am planning to narrow my focus of samples; by reviewing 4 issues of Vogue per year from 1955-1975, I am currently proposing that I will be able to analyze 80 issues overall. While I know this is not realistic, I need to read my research books and review some magazines on The Vogue Archive to assess which 10 year time span or so between 1955-1975 is the most pertinent to what I want to examine. Afterwards, I will begin annotating pertinent findings and quotes from my literature. Each week of intersession, I am planning to look at Vogue issues from a small section of my proposed years for samples.

Here are some of the books I have bought for my senior thesis research.

      During the early part of intersession, I will be moving from one state to another and settling into a new home. While I will not having internet for the first week or so at my new home, I will be able to get some thesis work done by reading through my literature. I am planning to read at least 4 hours a day until I complete all of my books. Fortunately moving is the only bump in the road regarding my free time during intersession. I will have the opportunity to solely focus on my senior thesis for the majority of intersession. Tentatively, my plan of work for this time includes narrowing down my sample years, creating a methodology, and reviewing photographs, articles, and advertisements on The Vogue Archive. I will also be doing a lot of reading and writing for my thesis as well.

3 comments:

  1. Having no internet is a great way to get work done, I'll be going through a period of no internet for 2 weeks in January!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenna,

    Reading 4 hours each day is quite a lofty goal! It is great that you are passionate and interested in your topic, just remember to vary your schedule so you stay engaged and motivated as we head into the Spring semester!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenna, I wanted to share a comment from a student in my "Museums and the Digital Age, Fall 2015" class: "I really like the topic you chose, selecting something you are very interested in. Looking at the time stamps, however, you seem to be changing your mind about your research quite frequently. You've been narrowing down more and more over time. Try to narrow even more to make your research specific and easier to find, organize, and manage. Simple is always better. Good luck!!"

    ReplyDelete