Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Plans for Thesis over Intersession

        I am using the Baseball Hall of Fame as a case study for my research on the representation of marginalized groups in sports museums, and so I will need to make observations at the Hall of Fame. Since my hometown is only about an hour from Cooperstown, New York (the location of the Baseball Hall of Fame) I will need to conduct my observations over intersession. When I go home for winter break I will be returning to my paid job, and also to the Gloversville Public Library [to complete my internship requirements]. Nevertheless, I will make time in my schedule to make as many trips to the Hall of Fame as needed to complete these observations. Additionally, I plan to continue researching my topic over winter break.
(Sample observations: How much of the exhibit space is used to interpret the history of marginalized groups in baseball? How is the history of African Americans in baseball being interpreted?)

3 comments:

  1. For your paper do you plan to suggest best practices for the Baseball Hall of Fame specifically or sports museums as a whole? Both?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good plan, have you made contact with the Baseball Hall of Fame yet? I have a contact there if you need one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carly - I wanted to share a comment from a student in my "Museums and the Digital Age, Fall 2015" class: "Access and inclusion -- maybe look into the history of African American baseball fans, especially since the first African American baseball players were playing while segregation was still in place."

    ReplyDelete