Saturday, April 2, 2016

"Accessibility" Collaborative Questioning, Starr

I almost titled this blog post, The Beginning of the End but that seemed too foreboding. It is all too easy, as we head into our final months of thesis research, our undergraduate experience, and our time at RIT to look at this as "the end" of what we have worked toward for the past few years. Instead, each day, I have tried to challenge myself to live these few weeks as The beginning of a new beginning. 

With that in mind, as we reach the point of completion of our thesis work, I am beginning to look forward to what may be next for this project. At this point, we have submitted drafts, completed revisions, and soon will turn in our final writing. It is overwhelming to consider everything that I am still hoping to include, but I have a good sense of what needs to be done. I have received feedback from both of my advisors, who have been so incredibly instrumental in the success of this project, and know which sections need to be adjusted and expanded.

No One DIS My Abilities. Maryam Hussein, NTID Dyer Arts Center, 2015. Photograph taken by author.
From the day of this posting, our upcoming deadline is quickly approaching. Soon, we will be finessing our writing, printing our poster, and developing our presentation notes for the College of Liberal Arts Undergraduate Research Poster Session.

Seven months ago, I approached this project with far more questions than answers. As we reach the end of this process, the resulting work doesn't offer up solutions, as much as open the field, and my own understanding, to new questions.

No One DIS My Abilities. Maryam Hussein, NTID Dyer Arts Center, 2015. Photograph taken by author.
This project benefited immensely from the community at RIT/NTID. Recently, the NTID Dyer Arts Center mounted an exhibition by student photographer, Maryam Hussein entitled No One DIS My Abilities. In this inaugural exhibition, a series of black and white photographs hung below standard hanging height, and a short film, illustrate some of the physical barriers Hussein experiences in everyday life. Through this collaborative exhibition, the Dyer Arts Center aimed to support and communicate the artist's unique experiences with the community.

Throughout the tenure of this process, I have had the opportunity to be exposed to artists, museum practitioners, activists, and engaged members of the community who have all contributed unique perspectives, and thoughts to support the evolution of my research.

1 comment:

  1. You're right, Ruth, the original title for the post would have been too foreboding! In some ways, the thesis truly is the beginning - of what we hope, as faculty, is further engagement with the field. I look forward to reading your final paper!

    ReplyDelete