Thursday, April 7, 2016

Discoveries and Meeting

There were points this semester that the completion of my thesis seemed far off or like a distant dream. However, my undergraduate thesis has almost reached its culmination and graduation is quickly approaching. I have begun designing my poster and preparing my notes for my poster presentation. This journey could not have been completed without the encouragement and advice given to me by my advisors (Dr. Lent and Jody Sidlauskas), my senior thesis instructor (Dr. Decker), peers, family, and friends.  
To help assess my progress, I met with my thesis instructor several times after class and with my advisors on a semi-regular basis. Some meetings with my advisors were individual and others were together. We also discussed updates and ideas over email. As previously stated in "Content Analysis and Goals", I met with my advisors shortly after I turned in my second draft of my thesis. We discussed my methodology and coding categories used in my content analysis, as well as my progress and challenges in the project and my plans over Spring Break. As I had hoped, I did complete my content analysis spreadsheet and began integrating it into my paper. My findings regarding how women's roles were represented and constructed in Vogue have an interesting progression with the advertisements, lifestyle articles, and editorial spread photographs that I analyzed. I cannot wait to share my findings when my paper is due and my poster is complete. To check in with my advisors again, I set up a joint meeting for tomorrow. We will be going over where I am at with my project and what I need to hone in on before turning in my paper in the upcoming week.

1 comment:

  1. Jenna, I have enjoyed watching your project develop over these past few weeks. You have made some changes to scope, but the core idea of content analysis & incorporation of feminist methodologies have remained. Nice job incorporating the MUSE aspect, too. I look forward to reading your final paper!

    ReplyDelete