Monday, August 29, 2016

About Katie Curran

Hi guys, my name is Katie Curran but we already know each other. I am a Fourth Year Museum Studies major as most of you are as well as an Honors Student, Museum Studies representative on CoLA's Student Advisory Board and an archive employee. I work at both the Cary and RIT Archives. I also returned as a Note Taker this semester.
My interests in Museum Studies grew from my love of art and traveling. As both a Middle Schooler and High Schooler I participated as a student in the Art Without Walls Saturday art class that took me in to New York City every month. I was able to enjoy the Met, MoMA, Guggenheim, Whitney, Jewish Museum, Sony Center, Natural History Museum, Morgan Library and the New York Public Library. This kindled my interest and lead to my experiences at the Cary, RIT Archive, Long Island Maritime Museum and Smithsonian.
At the Smithsonian I found a love for the unseen; objects that new get exhibited becasue of their size, fragility or importance. Can't wait for my thesis that might be entitled "The Effect of Accurate Reproductions in the Research Environment: The Use of 3D and 2D Facsimiles in Replacement of Fragile Objects." 

My best museum experience was at the Cooper Hewitt this summer and I hope I'll end up there some day.


5 comments:

  1. I didn't know you went to the Cooper Hewitt this summer! I can't wait to hear about it in class and see your thesis progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your idea for thesis of the unseen objects. I think it could be really interesting, especially if you end up doing a project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your idea for thesis of the unseen objects. I think it could be really interesting, especially if you end up doing a project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so jealous that you were able to intern at the Smithsonian. That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto on Krull's comment though relative to The Pen. SOOO jealous (in a good way!)

    ReplyDelete