Monday, August 29, 2016

Introduction - Kelli Spampinato

Hello! For those of you that don't know me, I'm Kelli. I am a 4th year museum studies major with a minor in archaeology. As for experience in museum studies, I intern at the RMSC and have a bit of archaeological  field experience. My interests lie in collections. I really love the objects a museum holds and the stories they tell. While I think my career lies in collections management, for my thesis topic, I am really interested in museum ethics and cultural sensitivity. I am thinking of doing some kind of project centering around the Charlotte carousel panel that was taken down earlier this year. I'm sure many of you are familiar with it, but in case anyone isn't, it was a panel depicted two slave children being attacked by a rooster (I've included a picture). It cause a bit of an uproar in the community and was finally voted to be removed and replaced my the city's preservation board. It is currently being housed at the RMSC and, while I'm unsure of what exactly my project could be, I think it could be a very interesting topic to tackle.

2 comments:

  1. I think the carousel panel could be a fantastic choice for your thesis, and I'd definitely be interested in hearing about your research on the matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelli - I am so glad to see that you are (potentially) working on this panel for your thesis. It might be interesting to look at developing a methodology for handling difficult material such as this—from a collections standpoint. Here, I am thinking of the recent/current work being done at the NMAAHC in D.C. They are developing a culturally responsive database practice. You might look at this, and use your example above, as a case study for applying the DB. Let's talk!

    ReplyDelete