Monday, August 29, 2016

Hannah's Introduction

Hello! My name is Hannah Barber and I am a fourth year in the Museum Studies program. As of today, I have had experiences in a few different museums through internships. I have worked with private collectors to create an educational program for her hat collection that was exhibited in the Strong Museum in Rochester, NY. The Rochester Museum and Science Center was my next internship and there I helped with the beginning stages of a packing and rehousing project. Luckily I was also able to work closely with the collections manager and helped in other projects as well. This past summer I was at the Genesee Country Village and Museum in Mumford, NY. There I assisted in organizing and inventorying a historic house, including identifying original objects and updating their PastPerfect database.
I have also done numerous projects with the Museum Studies program that included archive work, digital exhibition work, label writing, and more. These have all been great experiences and have given me a good sense for the type of work I could potentially be doing in the future.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Hannah! I didn't know you worked with hats!! I actually collect hats (I have a bit of a problem). Could you tell me more in class or in a future post?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Hannah, I hope to hear about that historic house inventory in class! I've been a bit curious about working with the GCVM myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hannah, it might be interesting to think about combining your collections and visitor engagement work so far. Perhaps you can think about researching and employing bluetooth/beacon technologies as content delivery systems for historic sites (like GCVM). I don't have a set of them myself yet (in the queue), but SBAH does and I am sure you could get access to them to explore (on site). So many possibilities!

    ReplyDelete