Monday, September 4, 2017

Introduction

Hello! My name is Gaby Gonzalez and I am a third year Museum Studies major. Although this is only my second semester in the major I am very much looking forward to all it has to offer and to find my path with where exactly I want to go in the museum field

I was born in Tegucigalpa, Honduras and lived there until I was six years old, which gave me the wonderful gift of being bilingual.  I grew up on Long Island and was exposed to many beautiful and amazing museums, being in such close proximity to New York City which I believe led me to where I am today. I moved to Rochester with my family three years ago and really enjoy this city and the art culture surrounding it as well as the opportunities made available to me here.

My path to Museum Studies was a rather convoluted one, I began my college career at Clarkson University as a Chemical Engineering major, which ended up not being the right fit for me. I then decided to try Chemistry on its own as a major, but again there was no passion there for me. I decided to get my Associates in Liberal Arts at Monroe Community College when I stumbled upon the Museum Studies field and was lucky enough to live withing driving distance of one of the only schools in the nation offering it as an undergraduate major. Although I have not yet had the chance to intern anywhere I hope to do so next summer, I am not sure exactly where just yet but I think I am leaning towards something in museum education. I want to be able to give somebody else the joy I felt growing up every time I got to see something new or different in a museum.

If you spend enough time with me you will quickly learn that I talk mostly about food and my pets. Cooking and animals are two of my biggest  so I have decided to share a picture of my oldest ferret, Stormageddon, inside my crockpot (don't worry I washed it). I have three wonderful ferrets and a cat who always manage to put a smile on my face at the end of the day. I hope this picture brings a smile to yours!
I am looking forward to this semester and hearing about all of your wonderful projects!


5 comments:

  1. Gaby your persistence to follow something you love amazes me, I probably would've quit a long time ago if I had rotated through 3 different colleges. I'm super excited to see and hear about all the things you contribute to class discussions; your experiences are different than most of us in our group, which to me means that you will have some of the most valuable input.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've really enjoyed your perspective in our past classes together, it's so interesting hearing about the experiences of other immigrants who come from a completely different part of the world than myself and face different challenges in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad we're doing the introductions because otherwise I would have never known you were born in Honduras which leads me to ask you...Have you ever been back to Honduras since you left?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not been back since I left unfortunately. The bureaucracy to getting a passport from the Honduran Embassy is a pain in the neck and it is also expensive! Although I would love to see my family I am also hesitant to return since Honduras is one of if not the most dangerous country in the world.

      Delete
  4. Gaby, I love that you find joy in visiting museums and want to pass that on to others. I like to think of those kinds of experiences as awe-inspiring, even if they are fun/energetic/and no holds barred. On some level, they are numinous!
    Btw, the little ferret is cute:)

    ReplyDelete