Monday, September 4, 2017

Nice To Meet...Me...

Hi everyone, my name is Lauren Hubbs, I am a fourth year in the Museum Studies program. Before I found this program I was majoring in Motion Picture Science where I quickly learned I was not cut out for coding. My interests lie with film, film preservation and film archiving; and Museum Studies was the perfect place to start to learn all the basics with museums and archiving. 

I didn't start falling in love with Rochester until my third year and I'm glad I fell in love because my plans for graduate school have me staying in Rochester. The Selznick School of Film Preservation is where I want to be after this year. Fingers crossed. 


This summer, 2017, I worked at the Visual Studies Workshop (VSW) in their film archive inspecting magnetic tape, digitizing tapes, and cataloging film. I also was beyond thrilled to get an internship at the George Eastman Museum working in the Moving Image Department working directly with the Collections Manager, Deborah Stoiber, and a couple of students from the graduate program. I did hands-on work with film, doing inspection and inspection reports, creating catalogue records, film labels, and viewing films on a Steenbeck flatbed. Overall, one of the best and most unforgettable summers I've ever had. I'm hoping my work at VSW and the Eastman Museum will help me produce a thesis idea...soon.


Below is a picture I took from a portion of the film "Garden of Allah", which you can tell is in rough shape. This is a film blister caused by a projector light. This is a rare shape for a film blister to look like a smiley face :) 


Wishing you all the best this semester!


Lauren






3 comments:

  1. I don't think I knew you were also a transfer, and for the same reasons I changed (not cut out for coding). I'm glad you also enjoyed your summer internship; it seems you learned a lot of cool and unique skills! I look forward to seeing how your experience may shape your thesis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always forget how many of us in the Museum Studies program came over from other majors, but I guess it's meant to be! Your work at the VSW and GEM sound really interesting, and knowing some of your previous work/projects that have centered around film and movies I'm really excited to see what you end up doing for your thesis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thrilled that you have found your passion and are taking steps to realizing it. Your experiences this summer seem to e the perfect platform on which to build a thesis. Looking forward to talking further!

    ReplyDelete