Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Introduction

Hi, everyone.

My name is Elizabeth Gwilt and I’m a senior in the museum studies program. Although I’m from Tampa, Florida, I transferred to RIT from a college in Oregon a couple years ago.  Growing up outside of Washington, D.C. led to many visits to the Smithsonian, which sparked my interest in museums.

After taking several MUSE classes, I’ve discovered a preference for interacting with visitors and the general public over collections and archival work. Specifically, my interests include public programming, education, and accessibility.

Over the summer, I worked at Genesee Country Village & Museum surveying the historic structures and researching ways to make improvements to their accessibility. I also created a social narrative, which is a tool for visitors on the autism spectrum to acquaint themselves with the guidelines and expectations of going to a museum.


I had a great internship experience, and perhaps that might inspire a topic for my thesis! 

Also, I attached a photo of some ducks that live at the historic village, since I loved walking by them every time I was there. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Elizabeth, your internship experience sounds really wonderful - right in line with your interests in museum education and visitor engagement, as well as research. I look forward to learning more about your ideas this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elizabeth,
    I think you'll find the work of the Museum Access Consortium to be helpful in thinking about engaging all museum visitors, including those with differing abilities:
    http://museumaccessconsortium.org/

    ReplyDelete