Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Thesis Topics

I have always been interested in film preservation ever since high school but never knew much into the topic. Even after my internship at the Eastman Museum, I knew I wanted to do my thesis on some aspect of film preservation but had no clue what. I gave it some thought and came up with a few topic ideas that are strictly research based. I will be using the Image Permanence Institute (IPI) and the George Eastman Museum as my two main places for research. A few of my topics so far include film preservation standards and techniques over the past decade, advancements in digital preservation specifically color grading and color correction, and film preservation standards and techniques since the founding of International Federation of Film Archives (FIAF) in 1938. 

As far as I have researched there is not an exact timeline of how film preservation has changed since movies started being made. A timeline will better explain why many films that were made before 1929 are now lost forever. Also, how film archives were started and have progressed through the 20th century and into the 21st century. Standards and techniques of film preservation have changed a lot because of technology and it is the technology of film preservation that interests me the most since we are in the digital age. 

1 comment:

  1. Lauren, a research based thesis might also include a case study of some samples, stills, collections from Eastman or IPI or otherwise that you can refer to as exemplars or as a discreet sample to explore more fully. Excited to see where your continued exploration leads!

    ReplyDelete