Monday, October 1, 2018

Blog post 4- Working research question

While many Rochesterians know that those of German ancestry make up a large portion of the Rochester population, many don't know that there is a German community that is actively trying to preserve and promote German culture and heritage. One reason for that is that many German immigrants chose to assimilate into the American culture for multiple reasons (some of which I will discuss in my thesis).

One major drawback of that assimilation (among other reasons like an aging population) is a decrease in membership in German cultural groups in Rochester. The result is the ceasing of multiple German cultural groups due to lack of membership and/or interest.

 After reading chapters 1-2 of A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations by Turabian, I know that a good research question will answer three questions: What is the topic? What do you want to find out about the topic? (Why is the topic important to your readers. Also know as the "so what?")  What issue will your research fix/improve? With these guidelines in mind, my working research question is: What is the German community (specifically the Schuhplattler Verein Heidengold- one of the German dance groups) in Rochester, NY doing to authentically preserve and promote German cultural heritage and what could they be doing differently in order to perpetuate the culture for future generations?
Members of the Schuhplattler Verein Heidengold after a performance in 2014 at the Genesee Country Village and Museum. Photo courtesy of Jim Smith.

3 comments:

  1. I really like your research question. I'm German (quite obviously with my last name) but I honestly don't know anything about my German heritage, so I can definitely understand the assimilation issue. I know that you were planning on focusing on specific groups, do you think it would be good to mention those groups in your research question?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Felicia, Schuhplattler Verein Heidengold is the name of the dance group that I will be focusing my thesis on.

      Delete
  2. Jen, consider researching the field of "intangible heritage"- for this, see UNESCO. Defining the work of your dance group as intangible heritage may enable you to use methods such as inventorying, safeguarding, and the "living" aspect of the practices of your group. Consider, also, refining your question approach to consider terms such as "collective" memory/experience as well as "safeguarding" over assimilation. Good luck! I look forward to learning more!

    ReplyDelete