Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Questions, questions, questions.

Transitioning from topic to research question can be difficult. What specific aspects of the topic do you want to focus on, why does this aspect matter and how will your findings affect readers are just a few questions one must ask when developing a good research question. After reading the first two chapters of A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses and Dissertations, I’ve been able to focus on the core concept of my topic that I’m interested in, using technology in a museum setting to create a better visitor experience for individuals with autism, and do further research to develop my research question.


When looking at my project idea for a thesis (described in an earlier post), my first question had to be “why is a phone app the most effective way to execute a project like this?” In one article I read, Educational and digital inclusion for subjects with autism spectrum disorders in 1:1 technological configuration by Lucila Maria Costi Santarosa and Debora Conforto, the researchers found that phones and other personal touch screen devices were by far preferred by their subjects.
Photo: creative commons
With this fact confirmed not just by this source but several others, I knew that my project was certainly feasible and could be very useful. So, I proceeded to come up with my research question.


As per the Manual for Writers, I knew my research question needed to encompass two things: what did I want to find out about the topic and why would the answer to this question be useful to readers; or, why does this question matter? After thinking about it for a few days, I came up with the following question: How can museums utilize a downloadable app for personal devices to provide a more inclusive and sensory-friendly experience for individuals with autism?


I’m very excited to continue my research and work on my thesis. Any suggestions or comments, as always, are greatly appreciated.

4 comments:

  1. I think it's great that you have research to support the idea that phone apps are a useful medium for visitors with autism; it provides a sound basis for your thesis and will give your work credibility. For the app, what age range will you be targeting? Will the app have different features for different age groups? If you are focusing on a specific age group, I might consider adding that to the question rather than just stating individuals with autism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love your research question! I think it's clear, direct, and will be a really great jumping off point for your project. I'm glad your idea for an app was confirmed with research, and I'm excited to see what else you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Felica! I think this is such a great focus for you based on your initial idea. I'd be curious to see if you could develop an auditory component to the app that would allow the visitor to be immersed in the exhibition while avoiding over stimulation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Building on Kate's comment above, I suggest adding an age-range as we have discussed. Also, will the caregivers/family be able to find use in the app? Look forward to seeing your project/research develop!

    ReplyDelete