Thursday, October 4, 2018

Pinpointing where to go

After diving in to some resources this week, along with our assigned reading of A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses and Dissertations, I believe I have pinpointed the research question I aim to explore in my thesis. In previous posts I've discussed my intended focus on social activism in museums in relation to the LGBTQIA+ liberation movement. A key moment in this movement is the 1980s AIDS crisis and the activism which spurred from a lack of proper education and funding for research to combat the disease. Groups like Act Up and the Gay Men's Health Crisis were some of the many activist groups who staged "die-ins," marches, and other protests.

My choice to focus on this aspect of the Gay Liberation movement developed after reading the introduction to Kylie Message's Museums and Social Activism, where she explains the focus of her book in addressing the role of social activism in shaping museological practice. Message chooses to focus on the Native American civil rights movement in the latter half of the 20th century, providing a specific lens through which she can further dissect the role of social activism in the field of museums. Similarly, I want to use the AIDS activist movement in the 1980s to dissect how museums are looking at social activism of the past and developing exhibitions to showcase the importance of the peoples voice in American democracy.

Social activism is one of the ways the public can communicate its opinions in regards to governmental policies when the distance between politicians and the people they govern becomes too significant. The modern museum has found its place in fostering public discourse, yet there is no precedent set for how to address social issues in the museum space. After mulling over the two focuses I have found I believe that I have come to my [working] research question: How are museums presenting past examples of social activism [specifically the activism of the 1980s AIDS crisis]? What are the methods museums are using to foster dialogues about social inequalities and activism? What are the best practices in the field that allow for the museum to facilitate this discussion?

I'm not sure if I will need to address the basic question of why should museums be involved in public discourse or social issues of their time? considering my initial questions seem to assume that this is a given. I would love feedback on this though I believe I will address this question inadvertently anyway.

Message, Kylie, "Introduction," Museums and Social Activism: Engaged Protest, New York: Routledge (2014). 1-38 pp.

1 comment:

  1. Anna, I think you've adjusted and refined your topic well. Consider looking at the historical trajectory of a handful (maybe 2 or 3) museums that have been engaged in social activist work and, after studying them, determine what attributes might be consistent across these institutions. Also, since RPL is planning a 50th Stonewall exhibition, there may be ways to develop a ROchester-focused component to your research. If you want to reach out to the curators/team coordinating that exhibit let me know.

    ReplyDelete