Thursday, November 12, 2020

A Late Intro

    Hello! My name is John Adil, a 4th year Museum Studies student. After working as an intern at my local art museum during the summers in Portland, Maine, I knew that it was something that I was passionate about. These experiences really formed my opinion and thought around the museum scape. In that program, I had the opportunity to learn about the business side of various sizes of museums and galleries; We would often take field trips to other institutions in and outside of Maine, making connections with the staff and their responsibilities. Upon arriving at RIT, I was exposed to a certain degree of technology that I had never seen before. A lot of my friends were Computer Science and Game Design majors. I really grew an interest in these fields, watching and learning from my friends. At the same time, my classes were touching on the subject of technology in museums. In Dr. Decker's Museums & The Digital Age course, we experimented with tech integration and virtual reality. In my head, I had never really connected technology as an educational tool for exhibits. My experiences going to museums have been so overwhelmingly "analog." This is certainly not a bad thing, but the role of integrated technology in museums has been an interest of mine for awhile. I want to see how museums adapt and evolve with tech in order to create better educational experiences with their visitors. In the future, I'd love to get some experience working on the digital aspects of museums, whether that is social media, digital learning tools, or, hopefully, technology heavy exhibitions.

     I haven't been posting about my thesis project. It has been a topsy-turvy semester for me, but my work has progressed. My ideas have also grown and changed overtime, so I will be documenting my thought processes as well as my physical work when it comes to what I have been planning. Overall, I am excited that I get the chance to work on an idea that I've been thinking about for a long time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment