Wednesday, February 4, 2015

A Comparison of Dyes between Technicolor and Eastman Color Motion Picture Film

In this thesis, I will illustrate the differences of dyes used by both Technicolor and Kodak and how the dyes have altered over time. To do so, I will perform testing on dyed film test strips by using a spectrophotometer. I will sample 50 test dyed film strips, Technicolor film, and Eastman Color film reels.  I will compare the spectral curve data taken from test dye strips and of Technicolor and Eastman Color film. The spectral curves will allow me to compare the dyes used and evaluate how similar or different the colors are. This data will be analyzed with consideration given to scholarly journals, case studies, and first-hand accounts of dye tests, and knowledge from museums and professionals with a focus or information on motion picture film and restoration. 

I have been making use of the Technicolor corporate archives at the George Eastman House.

No comments:

Post a Comment