Thursday, February 19, 2015

Updates and breakdown

There have been a few major developments over the course of the last two weeks that could really help bring my thesis together. The first being a meeting with Dr. Tina Lent when she suggested that I contact the RIT archives to ask for the report on the collection that should have been done when the pieces were acquired. This is huge because it will let me see if there was any damage done to the pieces before RIT was responsible for their care. If the damage was there before RIT acquired the collection, it should be noted in my reports. The second major thing is taking pictures of the collection. Because there was a show on the collection, it is safe to assume that each item was photographed. If I can get permission from the photographer to use them, it would be a huge time saver. The only issue with that I'm worried about is that the images will not show damages especially on pieces where noticeable issues are on the inside, like that of vases.



The above image, which is from UCLA/Getty Institute, is the type of work that I would want to take. The UV light shows the potential degradation and any prior conservation efforts.

As for work so far I have begun writing the rough draft that is due for February 26th. After starting, there are a few area where I'll need some more sources to fill in gaps of information. These gaps come mostly in the provenance area of the paper because it added recently. If the archive does have the records from the acquisition it will cut down the research I need to by a large amount. 

No comments:

Post a Comment