Thursday, October 1, 2015

A working research question on Historic Brewing in Rochester

As I've continued my research, and thought about what I want to do with my thesis paper, I've wavered back and forth, and gone up and down on what I want the scope of my paper to be. Do I focus on specific aspects of historic brewing, or do a certain time period, or the cultural aspects of it, or even all of the above. So I've started to craft a very influx research question for this paper. What were the historic limitations and opportunities of brewers in Rochester during the early 1800s, and what bearing this has on modern brewing culture in Rochester?
The primary mash tun at the GCVM
I feel that a research question along this line allows me to look at both the cultural, and agricultural aspects of historic brewing, both of which I'm interested in, while also being able to connect it with modern brewing practices like 'farm breweries' which share similar limitations with their ancestors from 200 years ago.  

2 comments:

  1. I have never considered how the seasonal or overall climate of Rochester has had an effect on brewing, but it certainly would have bearing on the limitations and opportunities for regional brewers if you are looking as far back as the 1800s. I have little interest in beer, but I am really excited to learn more about your research topic. Since brewing can be a part of people's cultural and agricultural practices as much as baking or weaving, you have the opportunity to tell us a really unique and engaging story about Rochester's past resident's lives that anyone can relate to. I am really excited to see how things develop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam, if you have not already come across this citation, be sure to look at: Rosenberg-Naparsteck, Ruth. "A Brief History of Brewing in Rochester." Rochester History. Vol. LIV. Spring 1992. No. 2.

    ReplyDelete