Thursday, October 29, 2015

Research Update


Since starting my research I have learned a lot. My research at this time is consisting of biographic information of Aldus Manutius, history of the 15th century printing industry in Venice, and basic printing history of the Hypnerotomachia Poliphili. The rest of my sources so far are about how the book was used in the 15th century which is where my reader response research will begin. I still need to do extensive research on reader response. I also need to start research on digital imaging and multispectral imaging of printed books. I will be reaching out to Roger Easton fairly soon so that we can image the hand-colored pages. I am hoping the results can tell us the material the pigments are made of and from that I am hoping we can get a date range. If anyone has suggestions on where to start please let me know! 

In other exciting news - Steven and I were able to determine the owner of the book before Melbert Cary acquired it in 1932 based off of a bookplate that was stuck on the inner board. 


3 comments:

  1. Amanda,

    I am inspired by how much research you have conducted to this point. Your efforts are commendable and I believe you are making a lot of progress with your topic. Continue to keep up the good work! I cannot wait to see how your thesis develops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To my understanding your research has to do with writing in the margins of books -- is that correct? If so, a quick google search of 'writing in the margins of books' turned up an interesting article from the nytimes called "Scribbling in the Margins." (Here's the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/02/opinion/sunday/scribbling-in-the-margins.html?_r=0) Maybe this will give you ideas on what to research regarding reader response.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Carly, this was really helpful!

      Delete