Monday, October 5, 2015

Research Question, M.Fanton


I am working on the topic of obsolete electronic storage media because...I want to find out the rates in which obsolescence occurs for various types of media in a comparative study...in order to develop a cost an labor analysis that will inform museum and archive professionals about the optimum time frame in which to create preservation copies of existing storage media in their collections.

Based on this (run-on) statement, I have developed a research question:

Are there obsolescence models and patterns that can predict the optimum time frame in which to actively preserve (that is, to make archival copies of) aging storage media, so that archives and museums can take a proactive rather than reactive approach to their preservation?

Dr. Carroll had a series of follow up questions, such as:

  1. What is the existing research?
  2. Does the existing research need to be updated?
  3. Are there exiting models?
  4. Will I (the researcher and writer) be providing a series of recommendations?
In class we discussed the potential applications of this research, in which I expressed a desire to take a practical approach rather than a conceptual (only) approach. This will have an effect on my research methodologies and how I design possible recommendations.


In order to proceed, I will need to read current research papers, articles, and books in the field, as well as contact museum professionals at institutions with electronic media in their collections. Dr. Carroll recommended contacting Rebecca Simmons at the RIT Archives. 

I may narrow my research to a specific type of media (audio recordings, for example). Although my initial interest was in the preservation of floppy discs (PC games) and video game cartridges, this presents the additional challenge of confronting the tangled webs of intellectual property and copyright law associated with them. I have decided to take a different path so that my research will apply to a broader range of institutions (collections) and increase its potential future use. 

Code 42 software company has put together the following infographic for their Crashplan web site (an online data backup service?). Not only does it illustrate my topic, it also contains sources for me to further explore (at the bottom), and points to other considerations I will have to address such as the storage of storage media (conditions) and usage (used regularly or barely touched?).

I am not endorsing this service, but this presents an example of a form my research might take.

2 comments:

  1. Melissa,
    This is a very interesting topic for me to learn since it overlaps on the concepts with digital archive and social media. I'm more interested in the measurement of cloud storage because how can we as future professionals know its capacity?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Susana. It turns out I am changing my research topic, but I am with you-- what are the limits of cloud storage? Each cloud storage service has its own policies, and even companies that advertise "unlimited" storage have some sort of catch in the fine print. So there are restrictions based on the service an institution is using. The experience handling data also becomes less customized to the institution and more bound by the infrastructure of the cloud system being used.

    ReplyDelete