Monday, February 15, 2016

Progression of Thesis



        Over intersession I was able to visit the Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum and make my observations. I went on a Sunday, and arrived a little after 9 a.m. I was the first visitor there so I had the museum to myself for about an hour before other people started trickling in, which was nice, but different because I had never been in the Baseball Hall of Fame when it was so empty!    
        My thesis is progressing the way I want it to. I haven't had to make any significant changes, and I don't think I will need to.  I have begun writing the paper, and recently finished ten pages for my first draft. The writing process is going well, however I am still playing around with the order of section two of my paper, in which I will discuss the study of sports, sports museums, the study of baseball, the history of baseball, African Americans in baseball, the Negro Leagues, and the Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum (not necessarily in that order). As I add more content, and fill out the sections in more detail, I will be able to see more clearly how I want that section of my paper to flow. 

Below is a picture I took at the Museum. This quote caught my eye given the nature of my thesis, in which I have been conducting research on the history of baseball and how African Americans were marginalized within the sport, in order to answer my question of whether the Baseball Hall of Fame's museum challenges the traditional marginalization of African Americans in baseball.

"Major League Baseball has an enormous social responsibility to provide equal opportunities for all people, both on and off the field."  -- Commissioner Bud Selig, 2013



1 comment:

  1. Carly, great update! It would be interesting to know more about Commissioner Selig's quote. Could you find out why he said that in 2013? That could be an interesting context to examine.

    ReplyDelete