Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Printing Press Thesis Evolution

My thesis has evolved significantly over the last three months. Originally, I had just a rather vague idea of a potential thesis idea - I wanted to utilize my work as part of the Uncommon Press team to approach the subject of a reconstructed printing press from a museum studies perspective. Since then, it has gone through a few iterations. I next thought that I’d focus on the way in which such a press, being held by a cultural institution, could be utilized by a local school as an educational object. As I’ve done more scholarly research & discussed the project with my primary adviser, Dr. Decker, my thesis has changed to its current version, which is to analyze three educational methods utilized by museums, objected-based, interactive-based, and interpreter-based, and to formulate an educational procedure or plan which utilizes the press in a way that offers maximum learning potential for visitors.
Hannah, an interpreter from Edes & Gill, a colonial printing shop experience in Boston, MA, speaking to visitors
while Seth holds up a freshly printed copy of the Declaration of Independence.

As I continue to work on my thesis, I certainly expect it will continue to change, but likely in more subtle ways. Since our thesis proposal is due in a week, it would obviously be best if my focus stayed primarily on the press in relation to the educational methods that I mentioned above. It's quite possible, however, that my ongoing research into scholarly writings on museum education will mean that another useful educational method will become apparent. If that happens, I'll likely incorporate it into my thesis, since my goal is to create the most successful educational plan possible. I mentioned this in our last class, but just over a week ago, we brought back nearly all of the wooden parts of the press from our custom woodworker in Harrisburg, PA, after spending the day working on finishing up a variety of smaller details. We're actively working on getting all of the metal pieces ready, but it's still looking rather impressive.
A sped up video of Seth interacting with the reconstructed press at Edes & Gill
and getting to personally print out a copy of the Declaration of Independence.


I mentioned this in our last class, but just over a week ago, we brought back nearly all of the wooden parts of the press from our custom woodworker in Harrisburg, PA, after spending the day working on finishing up a variety of smaller details. We're actively working on getting all of the metal pieces ready, but it's still looking rather impressive.

The press as it currently stands, with virtually all of the wooden parts complete & in place. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for making the posts with images that really show the project and process. I am pleased with the direction your project is taking and look forward to learning more.

    ReplyDelete