Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Changes in the Process

 It feels really weird to jump back into writing and working on my project after such a long break. Writing about my process has brought about a lot of thought on how much my thesis has changed since I first started to think about this idea. The ways in which I am recreating typeface both digitally and physically has drastically changed. I've changed the number of typefaces I am making as well as what I am focusing on for the creation process. 

I think looking back on all these changes and explaining the rational behind the changes is really important for me to be able to understand my project better as well as the process behind writing a paper and working on a project with such a short deadline. I think it has taught me a really important lesson on narrowing my focus and trying to avoid being too ambitious. I know I tend to think big when I first start a project or a paper, and that is generally a problem for me. It isn't feasible for one person to create scans, vector files, and accurate recreations of a full set of typeface, generally around sixty to one-hundred twenty characters. It is a lot more feasible for one person to create scans and recreations of four letters from four different fonts and have them print accurately. 

I think despite the long break and all of the changes on how to go about my process, I am enjoying working on both the written aspect and project aspect of my thesis. It's really fun for me because I absolutely love working with typeface, and having an excuse to talk about them, printing presses, printing history, and typography has made the whole process even more exciting for me. I'm learning a lot from the process of working on my thesis. It's okay to have a narrow scope, and it's really important to write about something you're passionate about. I wouldn't have anywhere near the same amount of motivation if I was writing about recreating a ship as I do with recreating typeface. 

1 comment:

  1. Koda, great update, which we have also discussed in detail. I look forward to seeing how your project comes along. Fingers crossed all goes well at The Construct, the Cary, and with the GCV&M Collections - a convergence!

    ReplyDelete